This is the 47th in a series of postings that are updated at least twice each month. It is designed to keep you informed about improvements we are making with Island Garden, Lightning and NY Metropolitan AAU. I apologize to the few people that actually read this for not posting in a very long time. There has been a great deal going on and I did take two weeks off to travel to Italy which was amazing!
– Watch for a major announcement this week regarding Lightning and Island Garden partnering with the most important organization in the entire world of basketball. Announcement could come as early as tomorrow.
– We are very happy to announce that we have been granted the rights by the NBA and JR. NBA to be the sole operator of the 2018 JR. NBA 3v3 League that will begin play during the first week of January, 2018. This will be an 8 game league followed by playoffs. Different sections will be hosted in Suffolk, Westchester and Albany with the New York Finals being held at Island Garden. Each participant will receive a JR. NBA jersey. The championship for this league will be held in either Atlanta and the Jr. NBA will be funding at least part of the trip tot he championships. The league will be for middle school players. We will be announcing complete details next week. This will be the first of many initiatives that Lightning and Island Garden will be partnering with the JR. NBA on in the upcoming year.
– We are so very proud that this is the 25th Anniversary of Lightning Basketball. We have established the date of October 18 and location; Crest Hollow Country Club in Woodbury for our anniversary gala. We will be honoring the organization and its amazing accomplishments. Tickets are on sale now at the Island Garden office (516-292-4956.
– I am honored to have been named to a special Ad Hoc Committee formed by the AAU to deal with the scandal in college basketball. We in AAU must get the message out that the AAU is being brought into the scandal when in fact those named in the scandal have no affiliation with the “Real AAU”. All too often everyone who plays travel or grass roots basketball are wrongly called AAU. We in AAU have high standards and take every step possible to monitor the activities of our members to insure that they act for the betterment of the athletes and the game. This will be a battle to rectify the wrong impression but AAU is doing everything it can to communicate to the public the high standards of our organization. I am incredibly proud to serve on this select committee which includes one of the top law firms in the world, a high powered public relations firm, the most influential and knowledgeable leader of AAU basketball and myself (I’m humbled to be in the same room as these people).
– I am very happy to announce that I have started a new business venture by the name of JMF Sports Management Consultants. This company is made up of a group of experts from all areas of basketball and other sports. My goal is to assist teams, organizations and facilities in the management of their operations. JMF Sports Consultants also will provide training, run camps, insurance, uniforms and basically anything related to basketball. Please let me know if you have any ideas how we can work with organizations to improve their operation in any way. I have compiled the experience and expertise to make many different ventures a success.
– We are moving along on our project to renovate Island Garden. We have refinished the floors and have added new decals. We also now have new tables and chairs in the lobby area. In addition, we will soon be refinishing the panels in the men’s room. The lobby will be painted within the next two weeks and we purchased a new floor cleaning machine for the courts. The baskets will also be refurbished one court at a time so that we do not lose the use of a court. We are exploring the financial feasibility of replacing all of the lights throughout the facility (we have already replaced the arena lights which have made a tremendous difference) as well as an upgrade to the air conditioning system. We recognize that Island Garden is approaching its 20th birthday and it is showing its age. We would love to do more but ours is not a business that provides sufficient operating funds to do everything that is needed all at the same time. We will continue to do what is most needed in terms of renovations while doing our best to keep things clean and well maintained. If you have suggestions, please do not hesitate to send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.