This is the 59th in a series of postings that are updated at least once each month. It is designed to keep you informed about improvements we are making with Island Garden, Lightning and NY Metropolitan AAU.
- We celebrated our 20th Anniversary of the opening of Island Garden on October 28. What a great honor it has been and will continue to be to serve the youth of our communities! We thank each and every player, coach, parent, referee and spectator who has come through our doors during the past two decades. We are now planning for our 50th Anniversary.
- The Fall League is drawing to a close and it has been the largest ever. We just keep growing! It is a good thing that we have expanded to JMF Sports Center, the Long Island Sports Hub, Chabad and Northsport during the past two years or we would have had to turn away literally hundreds of players.
- We are in the registration period for Super League for the 2018-2019 season. We believe in constantly evaluating our operation and the service it provides to our players, coaches and parents. It is our goal to continually improve and we believe Super League will offer more than ever. Recognizing that technology will have the greatest impact on youth sports in the immediate future, we have invested in several types of technology that will keep Super League and Island Garden at the forefront. Playsight has been installed at Island Garden which allows all games to be live streamed. In addition to games, clinics and practices can be recorded which in turn can be utilized as player and team development tools. Log on to the Playsight app to watch everything that takes place at Island Garden. We also are introducing another software product, Vaildage, that will require all Super League players to register online so that we can verify rosters with the goal to eliminate cheating. Sad that we have to do this but absolutely necessary based on the feedback we receive from our league participants. Not done yet— we are introducing an App that will communicate all schedules, results, announcements, game changes and so much more. It will all be right there on your mobile phone. (We are looking for sponsors who could have their company’s name appear on every text, ebalst etc.).
- We are in the process of greatly improving our presence on social media. We are in the final stages of hiring a highly experienced person as well as changing our internal policies to provide much more content than ever before.
- I am both proud to announce that I have been elected to the National Board of Directors for the Amateur Athletic Union of USA. I believe deeply in the value of this organization for our young athletes and will work to enhance the reputation,effectiveness and value of the AAU.
- We are also working on a number of programs to extend the Lightning brand throughout Long Island, the New York Metropolitan area and even upstate New York. More will be announced very soon. We are very proud of what Lightning stands for and intend to offer programs and opportunities in the immediate future. One such program is the expansion of our Little Lightning program for the youngest players. We have reached an agreement with a very successful copyrighted program that combines basketball skills with the teaching of life skills. I was very impressed and I believe our supporters will be likewise very impressed.
- Planing for the Spring AAU season is well on its way. Spring dates for the District Championships have been set. In addition, we have joined together with Zero Gravity to host a Super Regional on the weekend of April 6-7 here on Long Island. Teams participating in the Super Regional can qualify for the AAU National Championships during the summer of 2018. Great local competition that can lead to the only true National Championship.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and being a supporter of Island Garden, Lightning, NY Metro AAU and now our new JMF Sports Center. I could write more but this has been long enough.
Please contact us if you have suggestions as to how we can continue to improve every day. Many of our best ideas have come from coaches and parents.
“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand.” – Nelson Mandela.