This is the 67th in a series of postings. It is designed to keep you informed about improvements we are making with Island Garden, Lightning and NY Metropolitan AAU.
- We are so happy to share with our followers that Super League is filling up at the fastest rate ever. Our large programs have grown and we have taken on new mid-sized and smaller programs. We also have expanded our Super League to multiple locations in Suffolk County. There is only one true Super League that now operates in Nassau and Suffolk County. Our playing sites are Island Garden, JMF Sports Facility, LIU Post, Northsport, Chabad of Port Washington, Next Level in Huntington, St. Peter’s in Huntington, Long Island Sports Hub in Syosset, Jericho High School Field House, and St. Bernard’s. We caution everyone to make sure that you are not registering your teams in another league that is not the true Super League. We are no longer partnering with any other organization. All teams must register through Island Garden or it is not the true Super League.
- Jim Fox ( my son) has been working clinics at Island Garden and has also been attending Lightning practices and coaches meetings to improve the quality of instruction for both players and coaches. Jim has coached Division l basketball for 18 years as both an Assistant for 13 Years at Davidson and 5 years as a Head Coach at App State. For the next several months, Jim will not only be working with Lightning teams but will also be available to come to community based programs to provide player and coaches clinics. He is doing this as a volunteer and will come to work with any Super League or AAU program at no cost to the program. Call me at 516-351-6642 and we will set up a date. Jim started his career here on Long Island and very much wants to give back to the programs and areas where he began.
- During the past three months, I have been involved with a select committee appointed by the AAU President to address how to revitalize AAU Boys Basketball. We have completed the work and our recommendations have been approved by the various levels of authority within the AAU. We have changed the eligibility criteria to participate in AAU Nationals and have re-branded to AAU Global Championships (allowing teams from outside the US to participate) , created a new level of competition known as Regional Championships, reduced the length of the World Championships to four days, implemented various discount programs, finalized an alliance with Zero Gravity and at least large operator that was previously our competitor , urged for the establishment of a new registration system that makes it much easier to register for events, engaged scouting services for AAU events, reinstate All American selections, create a post-grad/unsigned senior division and establish a ratings system and retain a public relations firm to enhance the image of AAU. We will be publishing additional information in the next couple of weeks.
- My staff and I participated in a tremendous conference run by the NBA and League Apps (a technology company) last week. We came away with several new ideas and initiatives that you will see being introduced over the next few weeks. We are very fortunate to be part of the Junior NBA Flag Ship Committee that is comprised of 15 hand selected organizations from throughout the country whose purpose is to assist the NBA in reaching the youth basketball market. I have served on the Flagship Committee for two years and have already seen several significant improvements . We will be implementing some of the USA Basketball rule changes and recommendations in Super League this coming season.
- Lightning has joined forces with a new corporation by the name of Three Step that is creating an alliance with other large sports organizations whose goal it will be to work together to make the operations of the respective groups more efficient, successful and cost effective. This will enable Lightning to both grow in size while simultaneously becoming more effective in providing services to its players and coaches. Our goal will be to “act smaller as we become bigger” . We intend to work together with other highly advanced sports organizations and will be able to pay much greater attention to details. We will continue our relentless pursuit of excellence.
- Fall League will be starting playoffs this week. I am very proud of the hard work of the Island Garden and Lightning staff has again resulted in a highly organized and successful league where players of all ages prepared for the upcoming school and travel basketball seasons. Our commitment to excellence was again reflected in the Fall League. I want to publicly thank my tremendous staff, the officials and all the players and coaches for this tremendous success.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and being a supporter of Island Garden, Lightning, NY Metro AAU, JMF Sports Center and our new JMF Sports Consultants.
“People forget what you said; people will forget what you did. People will not forget how you made them feel”. Maya Angelou